Being a Leaf fan hasn't been this easy in a long time.
Wait, wait wait, before you tune me out as another street corner crazy listen for a tad and hear me out.
Recently the venerable Down Goes Brown has posted about the stages of Leaf fan acceptance.
This got me a thinkin'. We have no expectations for our team. There is nothing left to defend, no excuses remain.
The Leafs just plain suck. There is no debating it any more.
How, you ask, does this make things easier? Well for one, when opposing fan bases berate you with "Leafs Suck!" you can turn to them and smile and with a smug look on your face go "Yeah, so whats your point?"
Finally, after years of mediocre presses to make the post season, the rebuild is on. For the first time in a long time the Leafs are doing exactly what we all want and expect from them, rebuilding, sucking, accepting that this year isn't gonna be anything shy of epic failure.
That sounds rather depressing you say? Well, maybe it is. That is, until you realize that you are now free to revel in the small victories without having even a small part of you thinking that if they put them together we might achieve large victory.
Here are some small victories to smile about.
- A top 5 draft pick is a scintillating reality.
- Schenn is the real deal, he may make some mistakes, but that's called being a rookie.
- Kulemin, while in need of some experience, has shown flashes of brilliance and is very strong on the Puck.
- Matt Stajan is leading the team in points, who'da thunk it?
- Grabbo looks to have both skill and a crazy streak, two of my favourite forms of entertainment. he also seems to hate the Habs alot something I love in a hockey player.
- Pogge hasn't been proven to be worse than Raask yet.
- Mikey VanRy has been excellent, when not eating through a straw.
- Harvy the Wonder Hamster has been revitalized and is now worth half his salary.
- Chris Didiminico looks like a steal.
- JFJ and Paul Maurice are not within 1000 kilometers of Toronto on most given nights.
- Ian Whites mustache.
- No matter how much the Leafs suck, the Senators suck more.
- There is a cure for herpes, and it is the St Louis blues.
- It can only get better from here on out.
So buck up Leaf fans. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and now I don't think it's a train.