Monday, May 28, 2007

Canada's Team

Warning, Incoming Rant.
S
I won't cheer for the Senators, I just won't, no matter how much the media, the public, the players or even god tries to convince me it is the propper thing to do.
It seems every time I turn around there is someone else telling me who I should be cheering for this finals, and why I am wrong for not betraying my loyalty to my teams rivalry.

This article ended up being the straw that broke the proverbial Leaf Fan's back. Stating there is no rivalry between the Senators and the Leafs is a rediculous and stupidly arrogant thing to say. And there is no way around that.
Saying that Leaf fans only want the Senators to loose because we are bitter? Wow, sorry, but you are dillusional. Am I bitter that the Senators are in the finals? No I am not, in fact, I believe they are quite deserving of being the EFC champs, they are a very tallented and hard working team and have earned every playoff win. That dosn't mean I should cheer for them, although it means I have come to respect the Senators as a team (didn't see that comming did ya?).

I have been called jelous numerous times, and the fact is, yes I am jelous. Denying that would be as pompous as saying that I should cheer for the Senators because they happen to call Canada home. I bet every fan is jelous of the Sens or the Ducks if they arn't fans of those teams. It is human nature, you have something I wish I had, that is the definition of jelousy, I can't help that.

I have been told that I am unpatriotic because I wont cheer for the Sens, now this actually gets me mad. The truth is, the Ducks are more Canadian than the Senators, with 19 Canadian born players to the Sens 14. That means that the cup will actually spend more time in the hands of Canadians if the Ducks win than it will if the Sens win, and more Canadians will get their name on the cup. Who is unpatriotic now?


When it comes down to it, it really won't be the end of the world if the Senators win the cup for Leaf fans, but it will be a huge pain in our asses. Every one of us knows a Sens fan in person, or participate in online blogfests with them and have to deal with them on a daily basis. If the Sens win, we will never hear the end of it, never. Combine that with the rivalry that has become the Battle of Ontario and you have reason enough not to want the Senators to win if you are in the Leaf camp, thats what a rivalry is. I know all to well that those of Senators Ilk would not cheer for the Buds where the situations reversed, and the media probably would not be hounding them near as much to switch sides because they are 'Canada's team' . Thats because Leaf nation and our (biased) media is comfortable enough in the fact that we have enough of our own fans to get by without bandwagoners. My feelings have further been proven true by many realistic Sens fans who don't give a skyward shit if Leaf fans cheer for their team.

It dosn't matter that I don't cheer for the Sens, get over it, focus on your own fans, focus on your team, and leave me the hell alone. I grow weary of this.

Go Ducks Go.

1 comment:

LeafNationPlebian said...

I have lived in Ottawa for the last 10 years, but grew up in Toronto and I am a life long diehard TML fan. Senators fans coming flying out of the woodwork every time the team is looking good in the playoffs - and dive headfirst off the bandwagon at the slightest bump in the road. Down 2-0 to the Ducks there are suddenly (again!) a lot of empty seats on the Sens bandwagon. Sens fans don't deserve the Cup. They simply aren't willing to weather the adversity. I am with you all the way on this one brother. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Go Ducks Go!